Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Reflections on God, the Divine Doctor, Restores and Re-energizes (Br Joseph Zhang)

Sometimes when we fall sick, we feel drowsy, we feel we have no strength, and we just want to rest and do not want to do anything. In order to get well again, we go and see the doctor. After seeing the doctor, with the medicine prescribed, we become well. And we have strength again to carry on our duties.

As with our physical health, sometimes we also fall sick in spirit. When we have too many things to do, we feel stressful and sometimes we even become distressed. We just want to give up and stop doing everything. Yet deep in our hearts we know we have to fulfill our responsibilities. How do we become well again in spirit?

Psalms 142 and 146 present us a picture of God as the divine doctor. The psalmist of psalm 142 cried out to God, “Lord, save my life; in your justice save my soul from distress for my spirit fails within me.” Psalm 146 sings praises to God by saying, “He heals the broken-hearted, he binds up all their wounds.

I share the psalmists’ experience, I experienced that in my stress and distress I turned to God. In prayer and conversion with Him, I found peace and hope, for God, the divine doctor, allows me to see the purpose of all my duties. And He strengthens my spirit and empowers me to carry on. Therefore, when we are drowsy and feeling down in spirit, when we feel we have no strength to continue, let us turn to God, the divine doctor, to be restored and re-energized.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br Samuel Lim on 27th Aug 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment