Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Reflection on travelling (Br Aloysius Tan)

We all travel; sometimes for short trips and sometimes for long journeys. I used to struggle how to travel light. Sometimes, I travel together with friends for a holiday or go to some over- night programs or camps; I am amazed how they can travel with a small bag while I have a small bag plus a big bag. Perhaps, I bring extra clothing in case I can’t do my laundry, an umbrella in case it rains, an extra pair of sandals in case I need to go for a walk, some medicine in case I am not well, a torch light in case of power failure, and as this list goes on, the size of my bag also keeps on getting bigger and bigger.


It is also a similar picture reflecting our life; as we have a lot of “if” and “ in case” questions and worries in life; our baggage of life will definitely keep growing and it might even get to the point of being overweight. Thus, we might need to learn how to travel light in life, putting our trust in God; don’t carry excess worries and things; let God provide us in our life.

Today as we pray the psalm 8, we can be sure that the psalmists can freely and wholeheartedly praise God because they have put all their trust in God and they are free from the problem of excess luggage in life. The psalmist shows us this attitude of letting go and letting God lead in our following Christ to be his disciples.


Today as we celebrate the memorial of St. Pius X, let us also follow his example in trusting God, let this words of him inspire us to travel freely with the God:

"My hope is in Christ, who strengthens the weakest by His Divine help. I can do all in Him who strengthens me. His Power is infinite, and if I lean on him, it will be mine. His Wisdom is infinite, and if I look to Him counsel, I shall not be deceived. His Goodness is infinite, and if my trust is stayed in Him, I shall not be abandoned.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br David Arulanatham on 23rd Aug 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment