Friday, August 13, 2010

Reflections on The Bird and its Nest (Br Gabriel Wong)


There is a bird’s nest sighted in the seminary. Apparently, the parents built their nest in a rather peculiar spot. It is built on the protruding pipes in the first level, but approximately one level beneath the Adoration room.

One can’t help but think of a particular Psalm. Its Psalm 84:3:

The sparrow herself finds a home and the swallow a nest for her brood;
she lays her young by your altars, Lord of hosts, my king and my God.


It reminds me of my journey here in seminary. I have just begun my journey as an Initiation year Seminarian. There is no doubt that I can relate to the feelings of the chicks in the nest.

The chicks must be feeling excited at a seemingly new environment. They grow daily, basking in the love of their parents. The nourishment of the food makes them look forward to each day. The chicks are waiting patiently for their wings to grow stronger. They may not be ready to fly yet, but the desire to fly will emerge eventually as they see the flight of those who came before them.
I can relate to that.

As a young man, I have laid my life by your altar in the hope that one day I may too fly like those who have came before me - Your Priests. I have found a home here in this community. To draw a parallel reference to the growth of the chicks in the love of their family, I am too growing in the love of my family here.

Who are my family here? They are twenty other OLDER men in the community. Haha. ..they are my Formators Fathers and my sixteen senior Brothers. The challenges of my journey are made so much easier to bear with them around.

I am most thankful to You. There is never a day in which I can stop thanking you for the community here. It is a gift, which can be easily taken for granted. I am in love because I can see You in the faces of my family here. Sometimes it just takes much more effort to see Your face, but the sight never fails to appear.

I shall abide my time. Waiting for my wings to grow stronger one day eventually, I yearned to soar in the sky testifying to Your love in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br Nicholas Lye on 15th Aug 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Bro Gabriel, lovely sharing ... and the birdies are soooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete