Monday, November 23, 2009

Reflections on Psalm 26 (Bro Gregory Chan)

In my younger days, when I still attended university, there were many public lectures. One of those lectures intrigued me. It was on “How to Write a Good Love Letter.” I still remember what the lecturer said: A good love letter had to be warm, sincere, humourous and vibrant. It used language which was vivid and imaginative. I remember one sample he read out: “Our love has the sweetness of freshly mown grass…”

I must confess I didn’t know at that time what freshly mown grass smelt like. Recently, I got acquainted with the lawn mower during Manual Labour. Now, I must admit that I’m not very good with the lawn mover and have only seen moderate success. However, I never fail to take the opportunity to smell what freshly mown grass is like. It has a fragrance, a freshness all of its own. Of course, it won’t be the same two days later.

My question is: does our love for the Lord have a freshness, a fragrance all of its own? Does it spring ever new? Or is it lost after a while, dried up and turning brown?

The Psalms this evening speak of a longing, a yearning for the Lord, to “savour” His “sweetness”, to “behold his holy temple”. (Psalm 26) Let our love for the Lord be ever new, fresh and fragrant always.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Bro Jovita Ho on 25th Nov 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment