Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Reflections on "Not Sacred to Lose" (Br Martin Arlando)

Our God is a just God. Our God keeps his word. Our God is reliable. In Psalm 119, we find that our God is a rock. He is solid as the earth which he has created. For the psalm says “Your faithfulness endures all generations and the earth which you have established stands firm.”
But despite of this assurance we are still doubtful. We are still afraid to loose ourselves in Him. How? Let me illustrate with a story.

There was a donkey, a turtle and a fruitfly which lives only one day. ‘If I had more time,” complained the fruitfly, “than everything would be easier. Can the two of you imagine what it means to have only 24 hours in which to do everything? To be born, to grow up, to get some experience, to suffer or rejoice to grow old and die. All in 24 hours only.”

“You have got a point there,” remarked the donkey. “But I wish I had only 24 hours to live, than I would give everything a try, short but sweet.”


The turtle looked at both of them and said, “I don’t understand the two of you. I am now 300 years old and that would not be enough time to tell you of all the experience’s I have had. They have just been too many. Back when I was 200 years old, I wished that my days would soon be ended.” Then he turned to the donkey and said, “I envy you.” And to the fruitfly, “I pity you.”

The donkey then remarked, “When I hear you explain it that way, then I wouldn’t mind living 300 years myself. Imagine it having a chance like that to get a taste of everything in life, tasting long and intensively.”

Then the 3 of them fell into a long sad silence, because each of them had measured his life by a clock, and each wanted everything else: either a longer or a shorter life or a bit of both kinds.

So the three of them walked over to see a spider, who was famous as a Guru and ask her advice.



She said, “Turtle! Stop complaining. Who has had as much experience as you?”
“And you fruitfly, stop complaining too. Who has had as much fun as you?”
And then the donkey asked what the verdict on him was. “I can’t give you any advice,” said the spider, “because you want both a long and a short life. You’re impossible. You are and always will be just a JACKASS (a foolish one)”


My dear friends, our God has been and is faithful to us in many ways and we can’t doubt or deny that. His love is so immense and strong as we can recognize it in Psalm 117. His love is so strong and so deep and He is waiting to embrace us if only we would loose our life in Him. Let us then take comfort in His sure assurance and allow His words and life penetrate through ours.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br Aloysius Tan on 13th May 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment