Saturday, September 18, 2010

Reflections on Luke 12:19-20 (Br Gabriel Wong)

There was this moth flying near the living quarters a couple of weeks back. Or was it a butterfly? Well, one ain't an expert on insects. Let's just called it a bug, which may not be the correct terminology. At any rate, it simpilifes matters and typing a three letter word is so much more enjoyable.

The bug was flying in escatasy around the flowers in the day, and then towards the light at night.


Someone found the bug’s carcass the very next morning. The bug was overrun by black ants, who were probably in for quite a feast. Contrary to what some of my brothers will conjure, no one was responsible for the demise of the bug. However, one must admit that there was no love lost.


I will say to my soul;
My soul, you have plenty of good things laid by for many years to come;
take things easy, eat, drink, have a good time.
But God said to him,
“Fool! This very night the demand will be made for your soul; this hoard of yours, whose will it be then?”
Luke 12:19-20

It had led me to reflect on my attitude towards life. Have I been complacent and taken God for granted? If my soul is demanded from me this very night, will I be proud of it? I will soon join my ancestors before me as a mere print on the sands of time.

But have I loved unselfishly ?

Have I forgiven unconditionally?

It is only when I have the end in mind, I can be more confident in the way I want to live towards it. This brings to mind of Your many love notes to me in living out this unique vocation;

Life is never about how much I have, but how much I am willing to give of it.

And it shall be Yours, Lord.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br Nicholas Lye on 20th Sep 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment