Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Reflection on Mt 5:38-42 (Br Terence Kesavan)

if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile
Recently in one of the sharing sessions with the Divine Mercy Church youths, we reflected on this passage from Mt 5:38-42. While the earlier verses talk more about non-retaliation, it was this line in vs 41 which caught my attention. It struck me because it brought to mind something that I was reflecting on recently, obedience.

Obedience is usually seen as compliance, and following instructions from someone placed over you. Especially in the Church, it is used when we are asked to do something that we would rather not do, and so we do it out of obedience.

But this verse made me think about what Jesus was telling the disciples. It seemed that if someone were to "force" us to do something, we should do it, but not only to do it, but to go above and beyond what was expected of us.

I find in myself, the tendency to just do the minimum when it comes to things that I am forced to do, or something that I have to do when I don't want to do it, or am opposed to the idea. So out of obedience, I will do the least that is expected of me and leave it at that.

Contrast this with things that I'm passionate about or believe in the reason behind it, I will put in my effort, and even go out of my way to help someone, to complete and enhance the task given to me.

The passage reminds me that if I were to be compelled to do something not of my interest or something that I disliked, if it was given by an authority God has placed over me, not only should I do it out of "obedience", but that I should put in my best effort and even go that "extra mile". This requires a letting go of my will and ego, putting my trust in the Lord that it is His Spirit guiding my path.

But this is definitely not going to be easy, and I pray for the grace to be able to do what is necessary, not just for those I love, or for things I'm interested in, but for whatever God has installed for me in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br Cornelius Ching on 16th Sep 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment