Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reflections on Jesus, the P(b)alm of our Lives (Br Jovita Ho)


When I was in my early teens, whenever it comes to Palm Sunday, I would take home at least eight pieces of blessed palms. Two to be placed at the entrance of my flat, one two by the side of the Sacred Heart picture at the family altar, one above each of the three bedrooms and the last one perched just above the Last Supper picture in the kitchen. It was more of a decorative item rather than superstition although some of my non-Catholic friends commented that it looked almost like some magical talisman that was being placed about in my house.


As I grew older, and with better understanding of the significance and the purpose of the blessed palms, nowadays I take home three palms. One to be placed at the entrance of my flat, another placed at the family altar and the last one, when I was still a student, it would be placed near a holy picture at my study table at home, and subsequently when I was working, it will be placed at a conspicuous place at my workstation next to either a holy picture or a crucifix. Even as a seminarian now, I have in my room a blessed palm placed next to a miniature fiberglass model of the Pieta which belonged to my late paternal grandmother.


The palm is but only a palm in itself, but beyond itself, it points out to another higher reality. It is not just a sign of us welcoming our sovereign King Jesus into our houses, our homes, our rooms, our workplaces. Whenever we see the palm, it is a sign an acknowledgement of Christ’s lordship in our lives. Jesus does not just want to be Lord in the ordered and churched parts of our lives, but Jesus wants to enter and make wholesome the disordered and unchurched part of our lives and claim lordship over it. Regardless of the number of palms we bring into our homes and lives, put that one palm in that personal space in our lives, and whenever we see it, let it serve as a reminder of Christ’s love for us and His lordship in our lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br Peter Anthoney on 1st Apr 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Br. Peter Anthoney! I came across your blog as I was looking for images for Palm Sunday. I'm a graphic designer at a Christian Church. I love the above photo of the palm cross! Is it your photo? If so, would it be okay for me to use it in an announcement slide with our Palm Sunday services?

    Blessings & Best Regards,
    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jennifer,

    Apologies for the late reply. You may be pleased to know that the photo was taken from the public domain. As such, you are free to use the photo for your above-mentioned purposes. We thank you still for even asking us in the first place.

    Have a meaningful Palm Sunday celebration and upcoming Easter celebration too! =)

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete