Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Reflection on Lk 15:11-32 (Br Samuel Lim)

4th Sunday of Lent
Luke 15:11-32

This Sunday’s Gospel is on the Parable of the Prodigal Son. It is such a common and often-used parable that I found it difficult to reflect on, ironically. I spent about an hour in my room reading and praying the text, trying to reflect on what message I should share in this blog. Nothing came. So I decided to go to the Prayer Room instead, hoping to receive inspiration by going closer to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament ;p Well, after praying and meditating for more than half an hour… still nothing. So I decided to keep it for another day, with a little sense of disappointment, I must admit. I felt that I have wasted my time.

Just as I was about to leave the Prayer Room, it suddenly dawned on me that I was exactly like the elder son. I ‘worked’ so hard and put in so much time but I didn’t seem to get my reward. But what I failed to realize was that, for the past one and half hours or so as I was praying and reading the Scripture, I was always in the presence of God. On top of that, I was even present before the Lord in the tabernacle! But instead of enjoying and appreciating God’s presence, which is the essence of our relationship, I was trying to get something out of Him. I was result-oriented and not Person-centred. And that was the attitude of the elder son. Instead of telling his father, “Look, all these years I have slaved for you,” he could have said, “Wow, dad! All these years we have always been together!”

We often forget the essence of relationships, be it with God or with others. We tend to calculate our time and effort spent with them, and we see it as a sacrifice on our part when we don’t get something out of it. We feel that we have wasted our time if there is nothing to gain in return. But the essence of an authentic relationship is love, presence and being – and all these are un-measurable, and most certainly immeasurable.

As we prepare for Mass this weekend, we can be honest with ourselves…
- How is my relationship with God?
- Do I love God because of what He can do for me or do I live Him for who He is? Do I see Him as a person or a function?
- What is my attitude and disposition in prayer? To ask for something? To feel good? Or to enjoy each other’s loving presence?
- How willing am I to waste time with God?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br Alphonsus Dominic on 22nd Mar 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment