Thursday, April 15, 2010

Reflections on the Easter Triduum (Br David Arulanatham)

This Is The Wood Of The Cross,
On Which Hung The Saviour Of The World

Come, Let Us Worship

Easter Triduum celebrations this year was very significant to me as I participated in these celebrations at a very different role. During the unveiling of the cross I was allowed to carry the cross and do the unveiling as well. After the first unveiling and as I elevated the cross and looked at the elderly priest who was presiding the service I was awed at he sight of this priest who knelt down and bowed with his head almost reaching the ground. That posture almost brought tears to my eyes and I was moved to elevate the crucifix to the greatest height that was possible for me and quickly took a glance at the cross section of the congregation. It was simply awesome. I was struck with tears in me eyes simply seeing the faith of the people being manifested by just their looks, attentiveness and posture. Finally, when all the unveiling was over and it was my turn to venerate the cross I realised that I had never, ever seen the cross this way previously. It was not the blood that was oozing out from the damned, gruesome and bloody, body of Christ but love, passionate love for the Father and for the people whom the Father loved so much flowing out freely, and ceaselessly.

Christ Our Light
Thanks Be To God.

Next at the Easter Vigil, I had the honour of handling the candle. As I was holding the Candle for the celebrant to do the necessary I felt that I was holding a very fragile and vulnerable baby in my hand that was allowing itself to be handled for the needful to be done. It was simply a manifestation of sheer humility and obedience. Once all the needful were done and the candle was lighted the celebrant instructed to me in a soft voice to elevate the majestic lighted paschal candle as high as possible for all to see and then the procession began. Now I felt like I was bringing Christ the Light to the world in darkness. As the church grew brighter with the congregation lighting their candle,the paschal candle itself looked dim but continued to burn itself. Christ has given his life for the world to brighten itself again before God but as the candle continued to burn, Christ say, “I am with you till the end of time, each time you loose your light, come back to me and I will lead you to light again.”

In both the unveiling of the Cross and the lighting of the Paschal Candle, I realised that while the world was gazing at Jesus’ passion, death and resurrection, Jesus was and is watching us in his immense tender love, waiting patiently for us not just to gaze but to get up, pick up stretcher and walk in His light, to embrace him willingly and completely.

As the psalmist of psalm 80 echoes;

I am the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt.
Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.

It is our turn now to respond to this God who has redeemed us from our bondage of sin through His Son’s passion, death and resurrection. It is for us now to let go of our iniquities, embrace the Lord with an open heart and mind to allow the Grace of God to work in us. It is then we will be able to join Isaiah proclaiming the words of the
Canticle of Isaiah, 12: 1-3:

I thank you Lord, you were angry with me
but your anger has passed and you give me comfort
Truly, God is my salvation; I trust I shall not fear.
For the Lord is my strength, my song, he is my saviour.

Let us therefore seek out our Risen Lord and declare as Thomas proclaimed, “My Lord and My God”

With joy you will draw water from the wells of the Saviour, Alleluia.
Isaiah, 12: 4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the next post by Br Joseph Zhang on 17th Apr 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment