Monday, February 21, 2011

Reflection: On Wanting To Come Out First (Br Gregory Chan)


In the Hindi Movie, “The Three Idiots”, a headmaster asks his students, “Who is the first man on the moon?” Immediately, one bright-eyed student answered, “Neil Armstrong, sir.” “Right,” shot back the headmaster. “Who’s the second?” The class was silent. The headmaster continued, “Don’t waste your time. Nobody remembers the man who came second… ”


While that may be true in the secular world, the same may not be said of the priesthood. I come from La Salle School, Petaling Jaya, and back then, we were very competitive, even in classes like Catechism. Our headmaster was a La Salle Bro., Bro. Leo Manicasami, an enigmatic and charismatic man. I remembered we competed with each other for even half a mark. While he was pleased that he had many bright sparks with him, he disapproved of us, competing with each other in Catechism. One day, he decided to give us a test. From the test, he hoped that at least one of us would have a call to the priestly or religious life. But he said, this test is not to be determined by marks. We looked at him, rather puzzled. “What’s it determined by, Bro. Director?,” we asked him.


He proceeded to write three words on the blackboard, three words for which, I would never forget:

Obedience

Fidelity

Humility


Amazingly, these three words feature prominently in the Psalms.


Psalm 118 says:

“Your word is a lamp for my steps
And a light for my path
I have sworn and have made up my mind
To obey your decrees.”


This pertains to obedience.


Psalm 15 says:

“Preserve me, God, I take refuge in you.
I say to the Lord: You are my God.
My happiness lies in you alone.”


This pertains to fidelity.


Finally, the Canticle in Phil. 2: 6

“Though he was in the form of God,
Jesus did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped.
He emptied himself,
Taking the form of a servant,
Being born in the likeness of men.
And being found in human form,
He humbled himself and became obedient unto death,
Even death on a cross.”

This pertains to humility.


While I hasten to add that this sharing has nothing to do with me, but I do so that all may be edified at the wisdom of the headmaster. At the end of the day, Bro. Leo was right. It had nothing to do with who came first. Through the passage of time, we found out. The lad who came in first, eventually became a Protestant and left. He had 20/20. The lad who came in second, is now a Franciscan priest. He had 19½ /20. He made us so proud. As for me, I am still in the journey, and I live in hope. St. Paul would say, “So your faith and love are based on what you hope for, which is kept safe for you in heaven.” (Col 1:5). I was simply glad that I got through the exams safely. However, I do wish to affirm all of you in one thing. My classmates, were always supportive of me. The same may be said of the company I am keeping now. I wish to thank you for the journey so far. Its been great, brothers! May God continue to bless you all.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay tuned for the next post by Br Jovita Ho on 23rd Feb 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment